The new password encrypting function passwordHash

jingzhi

Hello everyone,

I am now working on a login system. I noticed in the mta wiki that it is recommended to use the function passwordHash to encrypt passwords. However, they also said that there can be short freezes if using this algorithm. Although I already used a call back function as they suggested, I still want to make sure it will not cause any lag in the server. Has anyone used this function yet? Please tell me what happens when using this function (especially on a server with many players). Thanks in advance!

There's no point using it, in order to work, you have to save hash to their account in order to verify it later on which means if someone gets a copy of your database, he'll know every passwords hash key to unhash it. Better is to make your own which requires custom functions in order to unhash it, not mta's built-in which can do anyone with no scripting knowledge.

Please tell me you're not serious, never roll out your own crypto. Storing hashes from passwordHash is as safe as it gets, there's no "passwordUnhash", only feasible way of unhashing it are rainbow tables, but I'm sure mta salts the passwords, so it shouldn't be a problem. 

• Like 1
On 11/15/2017 at 13:01, quindo said:

Please tell me you're not serious, never roll out your own crypto. Storing hashes from passwordHash is as safe as it gets, there's no "passwordUnhash", only feasible way of unhashing it are rainbow tables, but I'm sure mta salts the passwords, so it shouldn't be a problem. 

you've seen passwordHash and passwordVerify in work? You can check wiki's example.

• Moderators

Even so you will need to brute force it, because it a one way encryption. passwordVerify can't convert them back to original, it can only check if a hash is the same as the original password. Which means you need the original password first.

@quindo oh you were quicker haha

I would say: Brute force + this function = ~2030+. (Not sure how long that would take)

After all, if you want to make it more harder, you can use teaEncode on top of it. (which I do)

https://wiki.multitheftauto.com/wiki/TeaEncode

Problem solved.

Edited by IIYAMA
  • Like 1