Windows Vista

orappa

Microsoft have released the name of their next OS - Windows Vista ("Longhorn" was only a codename). Isn't that just the stupidest name you've ever heard?

They've also set up a site for it:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx

I particularly like the way that the picture emphasises just how long we've got to wait for it to be released (late 2006). I hate to think how long it would take if they hadn't cut out certain features.

eh i think Longhorn sounds much more better than Vista, there is a corp called vista in the US ( i think ) so this might be a court sake of the name.

Well, Microsoft sued Lindows (a Linux variant) for sounding too much like Windows so they deserve it in my opinion.

• Moderators

Like mp5 said before, I don't care about the name. After tested the lastest betas of Longhorn I just can say this will be a good OS. We'll see the Beta 1 of Vista on 3rd August.

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't that the whole point of a new version - to replace the old one?

But anyway, they're releasing some aspects of Vista for XP users - IE 7, the file system, DirectX, Avalon (I think, or it might be Aero).

Edit: Btw, Windows releases tend to get slower and slower (although technology gets faster and faster so no-one really notices) - just try running Windows 95 on your PC (if you can) and watch how fast it goes.

Edited by Guest