Somthing wrong with my IP!!??

Slyder

I try to connect to a server with my own IP and it times out. When i enter my friends IP it works just fine and i can connect to a game and play. However, the only time i can succesfully join and play on a server is when that same friend is playing. If he is not on i cannot play on any servers. Is there somthing wrong with the way I enter the IP or a special way to enter it or somthing?

I think the problem here is that he's running a server locally and trying to connect via his internet IP but it gets stopped by the router because it doesn't know which machine to forward the data to. In order to connect to yourself, type localhost into the IP box.

well, thanks that IP did work but i can only connect to that same server no matter what server i try and connect to. Im not tryin to set up my own server just play in one. Is there a certain IP i put in if i just want to join servers and play? Thanks a lot guys for all the help. Its appreciated :D

well, thanks that IP did work but i can only connect to that same server no matter what server i try and connect to. Im not tryin to set up my own server just play in one. Is there a certain IP i put in if i just want to join servers and play? Thanks a lot guys for all the help. Its appreciated :D

Yes, you put in the IP of the SERVER that you want to play in, not your own IP.

They give you the list of servers so that you can choose one to play on. The IP box is there so you can manually enter an IP in if someome else wants you to play on that server with them. To find the ip of the server, just join it and it's IP will automatically appear in the IP box.

well if i leave an IP in there, it will connect to the server dedicated to that IP, right? And if i leave the box empty and try and connect to a server it says that i have to enter an IP. So how do i join a server if i have to enter a IP, and when i enter an IP and connect it wont bring me to the server that i want, it will bring me to the server dedicated to that IP. ugh im confused!

I click on Servers, then I choose a server, join it, own noobs, then leave and eat a pizza or something.

Occasionally a friend will ask me to play with them on a server, so instead of telling me the server name and making me look through the list to find it, they will give me the server IP so I can just copy+paste it into the box and hit connect. Saves time.