[TUT] Map Making Tutorial !

Before I start, I want to say that this tutorial is brought from ffsgaming.com. Enjoy 8)

Object list

This tutorial is made for people who have knowledge of the map-editor of Multi Theft Auto.

Spend time to make both track and decoration, it's better to spend 2 more weeks on it than rush it.

So, how do you make a decent map?

I'm going to divide this tutorial into 2 sections:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1: The Track

2: The Decoration

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Track:

Nowadays people "need" the toolbox to map, so it's advised to download it first, and watch a tutorial about it. Here are some toolboxes:

Arezu's Mapping Toolbox

NeXTreme's Editor Tools

First of all, it's important to ALWAYS let the driver know where the track is going. I see a lot of new mappers who make their track so weird that you have no idea where to go.

Now, let me make a list to make a great track:

Make smooth landings, (if you're to lazy to make them, here's a tool)it's always annoying if you land real hard since you often bounce off.

Try not to make endless (350+ pieces) Loops/wallrides with Bauss' Toolbox, those are boring to drive (in my opinion).

If you make a ramp, always cover it with a shade (preferably with another color). Here's an example.

Create some diversity in the track, don't make 3 loops in a row. Make as many diversity as possible (Wallride/Ramps/0.50 loops etc).

Find some new objects to use as a track! A lot of people only use shades/roads. Try to use buildings as well, a lot of them are capable for driving and look nice as well.

Use the track in such a way which nobody has done before, that might take time, but it's worth the effort.

If you make a ramp of only 1 type of shade, try to create a pattern in the ramp. (1 grey/4 brown or 2 grey/5 brown etc...)

Build the track lower or the same height as the decoration is, if you do so, you can see a lot more from the decoration.

The Decoration:

Use the toolbox as less as possible for the decoration. If you copy Rocks/Trees etc.. with it it will look generated which shows you didn't put much effort in it.

If you're making your first map, it's not a problem to use basic objects like Rocks/Trees/Buildings etc.. but it's always better to try something different.

If you're gonna make a tropical-style map (Time-5:30-6:00), pick objects that fit in a tropical map. (Brown Rocks/Palms/Hipoly/Brown-colored buildings) So don't use snow trees etc..

If you're gonna make a night-style map (Time-0:00-4:00), pick objects that fit in a night style map. It's advised to use dark objects and put a light object on that, because in a night map you see lights a lot better, and they look better as well.

Combine objects in such a way that they look cool together, do NOT just pick objects you saw on other maps and put them together with rocks and trees.

A diversity of colors is always advised. For example: a white rock combined with object-"hipoly" looks great if you put a "healthcity" behind it.

A thing that I use a lot is to make the decoration look "realish". For example: A bridge can't fly, so make some pillars to "support" it. Buildings can't fly as well, support them with rocks so they look like they're standing on something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some useful (imo) tropical objects.

-8902 -Bally building (Pink building)

-16113 -Brown rocks

-726...735 -Hipoly trees

-8397 -Luxorpillar (Big yellow pillar)

-3276 -Wooden Fence

Some more buildings I like in a tropical map:

10398, 4193, 4569, 4573, 4576, 4681, 6966, 10056, 10143

Some buildings in a nighttime map:

LibrTow1_Lan || 4550

ballypllr01_lvs || 3437

ballys01_lvs || 8393

exclbrsign01_lvs || 8620

ggbrig_06_sfw || 9690

mall01_01_sfs || 10974

flamingo02_lvs || 8488

vgn_corpbuild3 || 6873

vgsn_pipeworks01 || 7347

Also I'm sure I've forgotten something, any feedback is welcome!

I hope this was useful in a way.

Best regards and thanks!

Edited by Guest
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...