libreadline5-dev error

I'm trying to get an MTA Server setup on my Linux Ubuntu desktop (12.04 LTS).

I have downloaded the pre-compiled headers from here, and following the instructions of this page I am trying to install the pre-required packages. However, after copying/pasting the list of required packages, and prepending 'sudo' in the terminal, I get the following errors.

callum@Computer-1:~/MTA$ sudo apt-get install build-essential automake libtool libcurl4-openssl-dev libpcre3-dev libsqlite3-dev libreadline5-dev subversion libncurses5-dev libncursesw5-dev libsparsehash-dev libmysqlclient-dev

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

Package libreadline5-dev is not available, but is referred to by another package.

This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or

is only available from another source

However the following packages replace it:

libreadline-gplv2-dev:i386 lib64readline-gplv2-dev:i386

libreadline-gplv2-dev

E: Package 'libreadline5-dev' has no installation candidate

callum@Computer-1:~/MTA$

• 2 weeks later...

try to update :

sudo aptitude update 

then

apt-get install build-essential automake libtool libcurl4-openssl-dev libpcre3-dev libsqlite3-dev libreadline5-dev subversion libncurses5-dev libncursesw5-dev libsparsehash-dev libmysqlclient-dev  

On Ubuntu 12.04 there is NO libreadline5-dev !

I'm not 100% shure but I think, libreadline-gplv2-dev is the trick. It's based on libreadline5.

But this is only needed if you compile the source of mta server.

The statically precompiled mta server binary is running nearly out of the box, because the libreadline5 package is still available.

I run a mta server on a ubuntu 12.04 LTS x64 (!) with 3.2.13-grsec kernel without any installing problems just installing ia32-libs, libreadline5 and - if I remember correctly - libxml12:i386 ... There was nothing to copy as described at the 64bit tutorials.